Parasitic Wasp Can Hardly Match a Drunken Fruit Fly
Making an immensely exciting disclosure, a recently conducted study, which was carried out by researchers from the Emory University, has claimed that fruit flies can in fact score over the popular Frank the Tank in terms of drinking. In addition, the disclosure is even being valued highly all over the concerned fraternity as it has claimed that even after gulping down alcohol on such a massive extent, the fruit flies are not likely to fall ill due to alcohol poisoning.
In this regard, researchers have recently revealed that this fraternity-party aptitude may well prove highly effective in saving flies from a violent death.
The findings of the study conducted in this regard have revealed that drunken fruit-fly larvae resulted in effectively turning the tables by destroying wasp parasites completely in their bloodstream itself, thereby fundamentally resulting in draining of the organs of the parasite by means of its anus.
While expressing the significance of the findings compiled by the researchers, the lead author of the study, Todd Schlenke, said that increased levels of alcohol can prove highly toxic for fruit flies.
He further added: â€śIf the alcohol level gets too high, they can't break it down fast enough. If you dissect open a fly that was fed alcohol food, the wasps were obviously dead and in a lot of cases the internal organs in the wasp larvae had fallen out the wasp's anusâ€ť.
It was further explained that the larvae of fruit fly feed on yeast and several other fungi from fermenting, rotting, fruit while they snack on it.
During the period, it is almost certain that the flies will be ingesting the boozy residual of the fermentation process of fungi and, therefore, they tend to thrive on food items with having close to 4% alcohol.